How to Shock my Swimming Pool

How to Shock my Swimming Pool

In our previous publications we already mentioned the importance of applying an acid wash to our pools, that is why we now bring you another important method to keep the pool water safe and clean through an electric shock to your swimming pool.

Most people would think that the word Shocking sounds somewhat extreme, but Shocking a pool is just a way to prevent and correct most of the problems that affect the pool water.

This process is also called superchlorination,  is basically to add enough chlorine or other chemical to destroy the buildup of chloramines.

Chloramines in my Pool

So, now you’re wondering what chloramines are.

Well, Chloramines are one of the residues produced by chlorine in water when combined with urine, sweat, leftovers of personal hygiene products such as creams, shampoos, lotions and conditioners. In other words, that smell of chlorine in the pool its means that the pool is dirty.

Additionally, chloramines are potentially harmful, volatile organic compounds. To put it simply, they are guilty of red eyes, dry skin, green hair and enlarging allergic problems.

Types of Pool Shock

Before delving into how to shock a swimming pool, let´s define the different forms of pool shock that are currently in the market

Calcium Hypochlorite Shock

This chlorine pool shock contains about 65% available chlorine and is cheaper than the rest. This type of shock is slow dissolving, so it will not completely dissolve before it hits the bottom of your pool. Once added, you will need to wait 8 hours before swimming.

Lithium Hypochlorite Shock

This type of shock is commonly used in areas that have a high amount of calcium in the water since this shock doesn’t use calcium. It contains about 35% available chlorine and is more expensive than using calcium hypochlorite.

DiChlor Shock (Grandular chlorine)

It is simply 60% chlorine that you can pour directly into the water. You also need to wait 8 hours before swimming again, but it contains cyanuric acid (chlorine stabilizer) that protects the chlorine from being burned off by the sun. It’s more expensive than calcium hypochlorite, but you can use it for regular chlorine dosages and shock treatments

Non-chlorine shock

Is not as powerful as Cal-Hypo or Di-Chlor but provides an effective alternative. This Chlorine-Free Pool Shock is a powerful oxidizing agent that burns off dead chlorine cells and provides your water with a higher free chlorine reading. It’s ideal for weekly maintenance and swimmers can swim immediately after shocking.

When to Shock the pool?

Even if you take great care maintaining the proper chlorine levels in your pool, there are still times when you may want to shock your pool anyway to be sure the water remains clear and safe for swimming. Some of the most common times are:

  • After heavy pool use
  • After a heavy rain or windstorm
  • After a water change

The best indicator to know when you should shock your pool is to monitor the results of home chlorine tests; when the test results show that combined available chlorine and free available chlorine are below their recommended ranges, then it’s time to shock the pool.

How to Shock my Swimming Pool

  1. First of all, make sure that before you start, you have all the necessary supplements such as protective gloves and eyewear, closed-toe shoes, long-sleeved pants and shirt, water test strips, pool shock and bucket.
  2. It is Important to know that if you’re using chlorinated pool shock, you need to wait until the sun goes down before adding it.
  3. After you suit up in your protective outfit, Test your pool water.
  4. Then, read all the manufacturer’s instructions on the shock treatment you got and follow all its indications according to the size of your pool
  5. Please beware that he chemicals you use to shock your pool can be extremely dangerous if they ‘are mishandled.
  6. Never, under any circumstances, mix pool shocks
  7. Do not add shock directly to your water unless instructed to do so

Even though this job can be done by yourself, is best to leave the pool shock in expert hands like our Specialized Staff, try our Pool Service in Pembroke Pines, we have the right equipment, skills and products. also keep in mind that the chemicals you use to shock your pool are highly dangerous substances that, if not used correctly, will cause serious damage to people, the pool and the environment.