We already have spoken about how important is to disinfect swimming pool water in order to kill bacteria, protozoa and viruses in water to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
Chlorine is the chemical mostly used to disinfect swimming pools in Miami Dade, but currently many pool owners are using alternatives to chlorine to disinfect their pools.
The most popular chlorine-free disinfectants in Miami Dade are:
- Active Oxygen: It is an excellent alternative with which we can get a crystal clear water without any unpleasant odor. This disinfectant can also be purchased in liquid, granulated or tablet form, depending on our needs.
The only disadvantage with respect to chlorine is that active oxygen is more volatile, that is, it is consumed faster so that in order not to waste chemical excess or defect it is recommended to install automatic dosing equipment, as well as the level of disinfectant It will be controlled at all times and the pool is always free of algae, bacteria and fungi.
- Bromine: it is another very good alternative, but also with a higher cost. Among its most remarkable aspects is its ability to maintain a high level of efficiency in a wider range of pH levels, that is, while chlorine needs a pH level between 7 and 7.4, bromine works perfectly with pH levels between 7 and 8.
This greater versatility of bromine makes it the ideal product for swimming pools and spa, since its oxidative capacity ends with any organic matter that is in the water, in addition there are combined products of bromine with active oxygen that dissolve very quickly to perform treatments crash.
- Colloidal silver: It is used as a suspension in hydrogen peroxide between 200 and 840 mg / I. It is a great germicide,that with oxygenated water destroys organic matter. It has very good stability if it is kept without exposure to sunlight. The active dose is calculated in the order of 0.05 ppm of concentration expressed in silver. Avoid contact with the skin, although once diluted does not present problems.
- Silver and electrolytic copper: The water is circulated through an ionizing unit in which there is a determined number of copper and silver electrodes. The two metals are released into the water in the form of ions. These ions have flocculating and disinfecting properties. The copper ions fix the particles in suspension and form flocs that are retained by the filter. Silver ions have disinfecting and germicidal power and eliminate bacteria.
- Ultraviolet radiation: In this form of disinfection, the ultraviolet radiation penetrates the cells of microorganisms and causes damage to DNA and RNA, preventing their reproduction. Pathogenic germs are inactivated at wavelengths of 245 to 285 nm. With this treatment, very low concentrations of by-products are generated, but it does not produce residual disinfection, which is why a secondary one is normally necessary through chlorine.
While you can perform this process yourself, it is best to leave the pool cleaning tasks in the hands of Urban Pool Services, we understand how important is to keep your pool water in perfect condition. So We use only the most save and effective tools and products to do periodic cleaning services that leave your pool looking spotless. Request a Free Pool Service Quote.